Sunday, February 9, 2020

Crafting wall facades to add to my sewer tiles.

I have now completed my sewer tiles with which I am very happy and it was now time to add some wall facades. I decided that walls all the way round would just get in the way of playability. So I made special wall facades for use only where they were needed. I also have dungeon tiles which are made using Hirst Art's moulds and I wanted to be able to join the sewer up to them.


As before, the base of the tiles was made from 4 inch wide 5 mm foam core. The paving stones were also made from 5 mm foam core, which I had first soaked in warm water for a short while so I could then peel off the paper covering the foam.

The wall was made of XPS foam, 4 inches wide, 2" high and 1" deep.

Using an HB pencil, I then drew the individual bricks and details, pressing hard enough to make indents which would show up well when ink washed and dry-brushed. I then rolled up a piece of kitchen foil into a ball and rolled it all over to give the stones a more rough appearance which will show up well when dry-brushed.


For the sewer entrance I added two extra pieces of 3mm foam to increase the height of the wall to make room for a door.


To join up with my dungeon tiles I made a collapsed wall. This was faced with 3mm foam core. The collapse was cut out using a hot wire cutter. Individual bricks were added cut from both foam core and XPS. The paving stones were added at a height compatible with my dungeon tiles and then painted in their colour scheme.


Painted as follows...

Overall:

  • Matt Mod Podge mixed with black hobby paint (80% / 20%).

Brickwork:

  • Dark Grey
  • Heavy Dry Brush of Medium (Rain) Grey
  • Mix of Liquitex Brown ink and Black ink in equal quantities with a drop of washing up liquid and a drop of water added.
  • Matt varnish
  • Dry Brush of Stone Beige, but use Light Grey on some details for contrast (this is the opposite of they way I painted the floor tiles)

Paving Stones:

  • As brickwork but final  dry-brush with Light Grey.

Sewage:

  • Raw Sienna (you may need a couple of coats to cover thoroughly)
  • Mix Raw Sienna and Lime (Leaf) Green (66% / 33%) and paint a line down the edges of the sewage nearest the paving stones.
  • Using the same paint mix, take a small piece of sponge and use it to dab paint randomly onto the middle of the sewage flow.  
  • Create a liquid effect using Liquitex Gloss Heavy Gel. Apply quite thickly and work with a Sculpting Tool to give a running water effect. 

Earth:

  • GW Steel Legion Drab
  • Wash with Liquitex Brown ink 
  • Dry brush of Steel Legion Drab
  • Light Dry brush of Yellow Ochre

Job Done!



The ladder was made from matchsticks.
For details of how I did the door see my previous post.

The earth was covered with sand to give texture before painting.

The sewage exiting from the pipe was made by first using the hot glue gun
before painting and covering with Liquitex Gloss Heavy Gel.

My three previous posts on crafting sewers are available here: first, second, third.

No comments:

Post a Comment