This time I decided that the door would be flanked by two pillars.
I followed my previous method. I cut out 3 pieces of foam core: one from 5 mm and two from 3 mm plus some small pieces of 3 mm for the embellishments. I soaked the pieces in warm water for a short while so I could then peel off the paper covering the foam. Using an HB pencil, I then drew on the stonework and the door's wooden planks. Here I pressed hard enough to make indents which would show up well when it takes an ink wash. The door will be double-sided; identical on both sides.
Note that the columns are too tall, they will be cut to size immediately prior to being glues in place.
I then rolled up a piece of kitchen foil into a ball and rolled it over all the brickwork to give the stones a more rough appearance which will show up well when dry-brushed.
I glued together the 3 pieces of foam using PVA (white wood) glue with the 5mm piece sandwiched in the middle and then glues on the embellishments.
I made door furniture by cutting out small pieces of card from a cereal packet. The door handles were made from small squares of 3mm foam core and match sticks. I used the same door furniture on both sides.
The door furniture was then glues in place.
Painted as follows:
- Overall: Matt Mod Podge mixed with black hobby paint (80%/20%).
- Stonework: Mechanicus Standard Grey
- Stonework: Heavy Dry Brush of Stormvermin Fur
- Stonework: Dry Brush of Dawnstone
- Woodwork: Steel Legion Drab
- Metalwork: Ironbreaker
- Overall: Mix of Liquitex Brown ink and Black ink in equal quantities with a drop of washing up liquid and a drop of water added.
- Overall: Matt varnish
- Stonework (except pillars): Dry Brush of Administratum Grey
- Pillars: Dry Brush of Beige Stone
All three of my double doors, together with two singles made from Hirst Art's moulds and a Citadel figure for scale..