Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Crafting sewer tiles for the dungeon.

I decided that I needed some sewer tiles for my Dungeon Crawl Project. I have dungeon tiles from DMB Games which are made using Hirst Art's moulds and I wanted these to be compatible. This is my first attempt to try out different methods until I find out what works.


First I sketched out the tiles that I wanted; these were fairy basic. I decided on seven generic tiles. The idea is that they should be able to be placed together in different combinations. If they work out well, they will be the first batch and I will add some more tiles later.


The base of the tiles was made from a 4-inch square of 5 mm foam core.

The paving stones were also made from 5 mm foam core, which I had first soaked in warm water for a short while so I could then peel off the paper covering the foam.


Using an HB pencil, I then drew the individual paving stones and then lines to represent cracks. Here I pressed hard enough to make indents which would show up well when it takes an ink wash.

I then rolled up a piece of kitchen foil into a ball and rolled it over all the paving stones to give the stones a more rough appearance which will show up well when dry-brushed.


I glued the paving stones onto the base using PVA (white wood) glue.


Painted as follows:
  1. Overall: Matt Mod Podge mixed with black hobby paint (80% / 20%).
  2. Stonework: Dark Grey
  3. Stonework: Heavy Dry Brush of Medium (Rain) Grey
  4. Stonework: Mix of Liquitex Brown ink and Black ink in equal quantities with a drop of washing up liquid and a drop of water added.
  5. Stonework: Matt varnish
  6. Stonework: Dry Brush of Light Grey
  7. Sewage: Raw Sienna (you may need a couple of coats to cover thoroughly)
  8. Sewage: Mix Raw Sienna and Lime (Leaf) Green (66% / 33%) and paint a line down the edges of the sewage nearest the paving stones.
  9. Sewage: Using the same paint mix, take a small piece of sponge and use it to dab paint randomly onto the middle of the sewage flow.  
  10. Sewage: Create a liquid effect using Liquitex Gloss Heavy Gel. Apply quite thickly and work with a Sculpting Tool to give a running water effect. 

Job done!






No comments:

Post a Comment