Thursday, November 28, 2019

Crafting a double door for the dungeon.

I have made a double door for my Dungeon Crawl Project. I have dungeon tiles from DMB Games which are made using Hirst Art's moulds.

But the range from DMB only includes single doors, so I made a double door out of foam core board. Seen here with some old-style Citadel dwarfes...


First I copied the single door onto some squared paper and then next to it I drew the double door that I wanted.


I created a template using card from a cereal packet, and then cut out 3 pieces of foam core: one from 5 mm and two from 3 mm. I soaked the pieces in warm water for a short while so I could then peel off the paper covering the foam. In the two 3 mm pieces I even cut out the centre hole.


I glued together the 3 pieces of foam using PVA (white wood) glue with the 5mm piece sandwiched in the middle.

Using a HB pencil, I then drew on the stonework and the door's wooden planks. Here I pressed hard enough to make indents which would show up well when it takes a Quickshade or ink wash.

I then rolled up a piece of kitchen foil into a ball and rolled it over all the brickwork to give the stones a more rough appearance which will show up well when dry-brushed.


I added door furniture by cutting out small pieces of card from a cereal packet. The rings were made from cotton buds - by thinly slicing the plastic stick.


Painted as follows:

  1. Overall: Matt Mod Podge mixed with black hobby paint.
  2. Stonework: Mechanicus Standard Grey
  3. Stonework: Dry Brush of Stormvermin Fur
  4. Stonework: Dry Brush of Dawnstone
  5. Woodwork: Steel Legion Drab
  6. Metalwork: Ironbreaker
  7. Overall: ArmyPainter Quickshade Strong Tone
  8. Overall: Matt varnish
  9. Stonework: Dry Brush of Administratum Grey



Compared to the single door from DMB Games, a good match I think.


Job done!


No comments:

Post a Comment